Write-a-thon 2013 is off to a great start, thanks to our wonderful community of writers. We have already surpassed the amount raised this time last year! At time of publication, 21 participants have raised $2,902 donated by 76 supporters. We are more than one-third of the way to our fundraising goal of $8,000, with two weeks to go. If you haven’t yet signed up, just click here to Join Now and create your own fundraising page. Send the link to your family and Facebook friends, and you’re in the game! Who will be our top fundraiser this year? In 2012 the honor went to Lucian Childs. At the moment, Mary Kudenov is in the lead.
Major kudos to David Cheezem and Fireside Books in Palmer, who have agreed to donate 1% of their sales on April 9 (4/9) to this year’s Write-a-thon. Let’s hear it for Independent Bookstores! If you’ve been planning to buy a book for that special someone or to purchase one of a series of new books published by Alaska authors in 2013, why not stop by the bookstore that day and support the cause. They regularly feature writers at the store: Dan Bigley and Debra McKinney (Beyond the Bear) will be there for a book signing on Saturday, April 6, 11:30am and Julie LeMay will be teaching a 49 Writers workshop (Poetry: The Mysterious and the Obscure) at Fireside Books on Sunday, April 7, 1-3pm.
Reasons to participate in the 2013 Write-a-thon:
- To aid and celebrate your writing. Just think of what you can create in four hours plus with minimal distractions and fellow writers cheering your efforts. Take part in the action at Snow City Café, create your own satellite write-a-thon, or go it alone–but whatever you do, mark the day and participate.
- To raise money for 49 Writers and the 49 Alaska Writing Center. All proceeds from the event become unrestricted revenue that we can use to support our classes, community events, Write Young Alaska, the 49 Writers blog, and more.
- We’ll treat you to eats & caffeine.
- We’re giving away amazing prizes all night–anyone registered or present could win. Some of the offerings up for grabs: Raven’s Brew Coffee, gift cards to Title Wave, Snow City, Moose’s Tooth/Bear Tooth, a 49 Writers scholarship, and much, much more. Stay tuned to the website for a full list.
- For the after-party, carousing, and camaraderie.
- All your friends are doing it. Join them!
- Because your friends aren’t doing it. Come meet new ones!
- Balance out tax weekend numbers with a good helping of letters.
- What good is four hours or a few thousand words? Just the beginning of a new story or novel or script. Or a really important turning-point scene. Or the chance to finish out a final act.
- Who needs community? When your brilliant book comes out in five years, will there still be a writing center, collaborative websites, bookstores, and colleagues around to help you spread the word? Maybe.
- Nonprofit organizations don’t need money–do they?
- Because you’d rather skip the event, skip the party, and just write a check. (Oh wait–that is a good reason. Donations are always welcome.)