April 27-28, Eva Saulitis (our guest blogger for May) will be the featured author at a similar event in Kodiak, in partnership with UAA’s Kodiak College. Her Crosscurrents partner will be Sara Loewen (guest blogger for November). It’s exciting to have the opportunity to engage with other communities and to expand these activities into rural Alaska, while highlighting the new work of Alaska’s writers and introducing visiting writers to a wider audience.
We are partnering again with the Anchorage Public Library to bring you the first Crosscurrents event of 2013: An Evening with Alaska’s Writer Laureate, Nora Marks Dauenhauer. Join us at the Wilda Marston Theatre on Tuesday, February 19, 7:00pm, for an insightful conversation between Nora and Diane Benson, who both hail from Southeast Alaska and who have collaborated on creative projects over the years.
Here’s a reminder of some events announced previously on the blog:
- TONIGHT, January 11, 7:00pm: Resolve to Write gathering for members and volunteers, featuring Andromeda Romano-Lax and Sherry Simpson
- Sunday, January 20, 2:00-4:00pm: “Writing Science Creatively,” a panel at the Alaska Marine Science Symposium, Hotel Captain Cook Endeavor Room
- Sunday, January 20, 10:00pm: Deadline for entries in the F Magazine 3rd Annual Statewide Youth Art & Writing Competition
- Wednesday, January 23, 7:00pm: “Storytelling and Science,” a Reading & Craft Talk with Bill Streever at Great Harvest Bread Company
- Saturday, February 9 at various times: “Writing Your Place” at Anchorage Reads, a writing workshop, reading by Eowyn Ivey, and panel of Alaska authors
On the publishing front, Alaska Magazine is seeking writers to contribute blog posts of 500 words or less to AlaskaMagazine.com that tell a unique story about Alaska life. Topics of interest to the magazine are fishing, hunting, nature, and all aspects of the outdoor lifestyle. Personal essays, nature poetry, and even video readings are welcome – photos too. At this time the magazine cannot offer compensation, but this is a great opportunity to introduce your writing to a wider audience. To submit your work, email email@example.com and mention “49 Writers” after your name.
|Erin Hollowell and Nancy Lord (and two giant pizzas) at Homer's Resolve to Write event last night|
This month's Poetry Parley, coming up January 16, 7pm, will feature local poet Gabrielle Barnett, and the marquee poet will be H. D.
On February 2, 7:00pm at UAF's Wood Center, Alan Heathcock will read from his work as part of the UAF Midnight Sun Visiting Writers series.
For more information, contact Jayson Smart at (907) 297-2882. For the webinar on January 16, the dial-in is 1 (800) 514-0831. The confirmation number is 34069883.
If you have news to share of publishing success, a book signing, or any other literary activity in your community, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll help to spread the word.